Most of the windows users choose XAMMP to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin, and Perl. But, if you try to update any one of the softwares, you may face difficulties. Either you must have to install the latest version of XAMPP (or) you must update the software and configure the web server manually. In such case, we may either loss the data (or) it may remain nonfunctional. So it is safe to take backup of whole files, before trying to install manually.
In this tutorial, I have tried to update the old phpMyAdmin in the XAMPP to phpMyAdmin 4.2.12 (the latest stable release, as on Nov 29, 2014) and faced many technical problems. I searched through google for this issue, but I didn't got a proper solution. Finally, I referred the phpMyAdmin error message and documentations and solved the problem. It works fine now.
The simple and easy steps which I followed is explained below:
- Download the latest version of the phpMyAdmin from the official site http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ or directly from the SourceForge server http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/files/phpMyAdmin/.
- Uncompress the downloaded compressed file (for example, phpMyAdmin-4.2.12-english.7z).
- Rename the uncompressed folder phpMyAdmin-4.2.12-english to phpMyAdmin.
- Open the folder and make a copy of the file config.sample.inc.php to config.inc.php in the same folder and do the following changes in config.inc.php.
- Remove the comment line symbol (//) to enable the feature. If you are not familiar with the lines, simply remove all of the comment line symbols.
- Change the username and password in the following lines to your existing phpMyAdmin login details.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = 'pma';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = 'pmapass';
- Now save and exit the configuration file.
- Go to C:\xampp directory and rename the existing folder phpMyAdmin to phpMyAdmin1 (for safety backup).
- Move the phpMyAdmin folder (which was modified earlier from phpMyAdmin-4.2.12-english) to the C:\xampp directory.
- Open the URL http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin/ in your browser and enter inside using your login credentials. Ignore the warning messages.
- Select the Import tab and load the sql file create_tables.sql from the directory C:\xampp\phpMyAdmin\examples and press Go button.
- Select the Databases tab and click the link Check Privileges near the phpmyadmin database.
- Click the link Edit Privileges for the pma user. Select all the checkboxes (if you are familiar select only needed checkboxes) and press the Go button. This step is to grant permissions for the pma user account.
- Exit the browser. Clear the temporary files, history, and cookies from the browser. CCleaner software can also be used for this.
- Now follow step 8 to open the updated phpMyAdmin page.